If you do not like masala dosa, you do not belong to this planet. Seriously! And, if you haven’t tried masala dosa yet, then well, you are not living. Originated in southern India, masala dosa is one of tastiest creations of humans. You can have these golden crispy savory crepes filled with flavorful potato filling for breakfast, lunch, and dinner without any shame.
Masala dosa to South Indians is what crepes are to French people. If you are a foodie who also likes to cook, then here is a restaurant-style recipe for how to make masala dosa that you can try in your kitchen and serve to your family and friends.
How To Make Masala Dosa?
Ingredients To Make Masala Dosa
For dosa batter
- 330 gm of Idli rice
- 125 gms of urad dal
- 35 gm of thick poha (optional)
- 1 tbsp of Chana Dal
- 1/2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- ½ tbsp Rock Salt
For potato filling
- 2 cups of boiled and chopped potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 cup of thinly sliced onions
- Finely chopped ginger
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- A pinch of Asofoetida
- Salt, as required
Masala Dosa Recipe
For dosa batter
- Wash rice, lentils, chana dal, and fenugreek seeds before you soak them together in 2 cups of water for 4-5 hours.
- Grind them into a fine paste. Add more water if required. Take batches to grind depending upon the volume of your jar. The consistency of the mixture should be fine grainy.
- Add half a teaspoon of rock salt into the batter and set it aside for fermentation overnight.
Also read: How To Make The Softest Of Idlis Every Time
For potato mixture
- Boil 4 medium sized potatoes in a pressure cooker. It usually requires 4-5 whistles to boil. You can also use a pan to boil potatoes but it is more time-consuming.
- Cut thin slices of onions and chop chilies, ginger, and coriander leaves.
- Soak some chana dal in hot water for half an hour.
- heat some oil or ghee in a pan. Fry some cashews and keep them aside.
- Lower the flame and add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds start to splutter, add chana dal.
- Now add sliced onions, chilies, ginger, and coriander leaves. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add turmeric and asafoetida.
- Add water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add boil potatoes to this mixture and mix them very well after you season it with salt. There should not be any gravy-like consistency or any water in potato masala. Turn off the flame.
To Make Masala Dosa
- Heat the pan. Use a cast iron pan or flat non-stick pan. It should be medium hot, not too hot.
- Put oil and smear it on the pan if it is a cast iron pan. Don’t smear if it is a non-stick pan otherwise you will not be able to spread the dosa batter.
- Slightly stir the batter before you begin to make dosas.
- Keep the flame low while pouring the batter. Spread the batter in a circular motion.
- Turn the flame to medium to cook the dosa. Sprinkle oil on top of the edges. Put a lid on it to cook the dosa.
- When the base becomes golden and crisp, place some potato masala on it.
- Fold the dosa and serve it with sambhar and chutney.