The most awaited global award show held on April 25, 2021, in Los Angeles, California. The 93rd annual Academy Awards made history before the first award was even handed out.
After years of criticism for a lack of diversity, this year’s slate of nominees contained some notable firsts. It was the first time an all-Black producing team was nominated for best picture, the first time two actors of Asian descent received a nod for best actor, and the first year when two women were nominated for best director.
With all the talent and glamour this year’s Oscar also witnessed some super awkward moments, here’s a list.
1) Fake Shots
Stars were supposed to drink fake shots.
2) Red carpet interviews were awkwardly socially distanced.
3) In an awkward adorable moment, Florian Zeller’s wife came over and kissed his back mid-speech.
4) Daniel Kaluuya won Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Judas and the Black Messiah, and in his speech he hilariously/awkwardly said, “We need to celebrate life…my mom met my dad. They had sex. It’s amazing.”
5) Brad Pitt mispronounced Yuh-Jung Youn’s name.
6) Halle Berry mispronounced Erik Messerschmidt’s name twice.
7) Glenn Close gave us a little glimpse of her dancing when asked whether she knew the song “Da Butt” from Spike Lee’s School Daze soundtrack.
Featured Image Source:CNBC