Chocolates are making pet owners’ vet visits more frequent, so experts suggest pet owners to stay informed on what to do if their pets show signs of chocolate poisoning.
Since it’s Easter weekend, pet owners need to understand the risk associated with chocolate consumption.
Chocolates might be good for humans but due to the chemical theobromine it can be dangerous for pets digestion. The effect of chocolate poisoning depends on the type and amount of chocolate and the breed of the pet. Although dark chocolate contains a higher value of theobromine, other milk based varieties also contain a significant amount of it.
So experts came up with a guide to make you aware of the dangers, symptoms to look out for, and how to ensure your pet’s safety this Easter.
Symptoms of Chocolate poisoning can generally be seen from 4 to 24 hours after the consumption. These include:
- Heavy rapid breathing
- Increased heart rate
Then what would be your dog’s treat on Easter?
A spoonful of peanut butter is a safe alternative to chocolate and it adds healthy fat and protein to your dog’s diet.
Carrots improve dogs’ dental health and are a great source of vitamin A.
And what about cats?
Cooked tuna or salmon have a high protein content and omega-3 that cats love a lot.
A Peeled apple is another great alternative which is high in fiber and vitamin C.
What if somehow they end up eating chocolates?
- Call Vet
- Don’t induce vomiting
- Try figuring out the chocolate type
- Try finding the amount of chocolate consumed
- Last but not least, stay calm