English is a very interesting language and what’s more interesting are these facts about this language. Read on and find out surprising fun facts about the English language.
1) “I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
2) “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” is a pangram sentence.
A pangram sentence contains every letter in the language.
3) Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is NOT the longest word in English, Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is. It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and dust.
4) There are “ghost words” that mean nothing.
There-are-“ghost-words” Believe it or not, there are some words that appeared in the dictionary because of printing errors.
5) The shortest, oldest, and most commonly used word is “I.”
6) A new word is added to the dictionary every two hours.
7) There’s a name for words that we repeat often.
Words we always use even though they add no meaning or value to a sentence are called crutch words.
8)The word Swims will be swims even when turned upside down.
9) English is the language of the air.
This means that all pilots have to identify themselves and speak in English while flying, regardless of their origin.
10) Girl used to mean small boy or girl.
The word “girl” was not initially used to refer to a specific gender. It used to mean “child” or “young person” regardless of gender.
Information Source: Grammarly